FOOD AND NUTRITION
Myasthenia Gravis–Friendly, Pan-Seared Rosemary Tuna Recipe
Find your new, easy recipe for low-energy days.
Sometimes, myasthenia gravis (MG) symptoms can make standing up for long stretches of time to prepare a meal feel impossible. On days like that, you need something that cooks up fast without a lot of fuss. When you’re craving a hot and nourishing meal, this recipe is ideal.
This recipe was created by Dawn*, a person living with MG who loves incorporating organic foods, colorful veggies and wild-caught fish into her diet whenever possible. MG United worked with a nutritionist to help make Dawn’s recipe as MG-friendly as possible. In that spirit, this healthy recipe for pan-seared tuna steaks with spinach, tomatoes and mushrooms is both quick and delicious. Another bonus: fish is often softer to chew and swallow.
- 4 fresh or defrosted 4-oz tuna steaks
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1½ tsp of dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Portobello mushroom, sliced
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 cups Roma tomatoes, seeded and sliced
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach
- Sesame seeds (optional)
Myasthenia Gravis–Friendly Rosemary Tuna
- Season tuna with salt, pepper and rosemary.
- Heat extra virgin olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add seasoned fish to pan. Sear on one side for about 3 minutes.
- Turn fish over and add mushrooms, garlic, tomatoes, spinach and sesame seeds (if using). Cook for about 3 minutes.
- Remove fish from pan when internal temperature reaches about 145° F.
- Continue to cook vegetables between 3 to 8 minutes after removing tuna, until tender or soft.
- Season vegetables with salt and pepper and arrange them on your plate with the fish.
Yield: 4 servings
Tip: Use canned, diced tomatoes to reduce prep work and cooking time.
Please consult your healthcare team to determine which recipes are best for your dietary needs and whether any modifications would be appropriate, and consider any allergies or dietary restrictions before making these recipes.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
*Paid contributor to MG United